Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Does God exist

For some very unknown reason, I have given a lot of thought to the question that some people have asked, others are afraid to ask while yet others actually believe that they have the answer and it is in the negative...the question is Does God exist??????

There are probably a few incidents that have shepherded my thoughts in this direction and probably one individual whose first name I have forgotten but I believe his surname is Thindwa may also have something to do with it. I am not particularly sure why this individual has caught my interest so much but I guess the sensitivity of the topic he was discussing and the fact that I happened to access the 2 media channels that he used to advance his beliefs namely MBC TV and one of the Weekend papers.

This particular individual has been suggesting that God does not exist and that human beings are the creator of the ‘idea’ as he puts it. I cannot claim to be very surprised with such a statement as I have heard it before, the only surprise is the fact that I am hearing it from a Malawian ‘non-believer’ for the very first time. This is testimony to the tolerant nature of our laws because I do not want to imagine what people who make such statements are subjected to in some countries of the Middle East.

Someone made the argument that while some people may be forgiven for thinking that God does not exist, they need to ask themselves what they will do if they discover to their shock and horror that he actually does exist and he is ready to mete out judgement. Wouldn’t it be better to err on the side of caution? I think it is better to live in reverence for God and if it turns out not to be the case, you will still have lived a good life for yourself and your family. I have never read any instruction in the Holy Scripture that suggests that anybody should harm themselves, let alone other people. So besides the rewards of the afterlife; which believers everywhere strive for, there are also very many benefits in this life to be derived from the living word.

For the record, I am a firm believer that God DOES EXIST and beyond that; we exist because of him, he is the Lord of the universe and every living creature should revere him. In addition, one of my brothers once told me that any statement which says “God does not exist” is proof in itself that he DOES exist because if he didn’t, we wouldn’t even talk about him because he simply would not be in EXISTENCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment